I think everyone needs a power playlist. It has to be a list of songs you can go to when you need some motivation to get through the day. For me, I refer to a few songs when I just need a friendly reminder that everything is going to be okay and that I am okay. So today, I am sharing with you five of the songs that inspire me to keep going.
My Inspo Playlist
- “Time Will Come” by Kris Allen- Back in 2009, Kris Allen won the eighth season of American Idol. This song is featured on his fourth album titled Letting You In. “My Time Will Come” is featured on my playlist for it’s inspirational message spoken throughout the song “so I keep on moving on, cuz I know my time will come”. It’s a song to listen to when you feel as though you are at a standstill place in your life. This will remind you that everyone has their time. https://youtu.be/nrPUPhViVVI
- “Wait for It” by Leslie Odom Jr. and the cast of Hamilton- Along the same line as my previous song choice, this song shares the message that everyone grows at their own pace. In an interview about the song, writer Lin-Manuel Miranda said “I think we’ve all had moments where we’ve seen friends and colleagues zoom past us, either to success, or to marriage, or to home-ownership, while we lingered where we were- broke, single, jobless. And you tell yourself, “Wait for It”. At the same time, this song is something I listen to when I fear as though my anxiety is taking control of me. When this happens, the line “I am the one thing in life I can control. I am inimitable, I am an original” rings out and helps me get through. https://youtu.be/ReTP6x_sDiM
- “Up&Up” by Coldplay- This is off Coldplay’s “Head Full of Dreams” album and I only recently have connected with this song. It’s calming beat along with inspiring lyrics like “we’re gonna get it, get it together, I know” makes you feel like you can accomplish anything in life. My favorite part? The song ends with the line “Don’t ever give up.” https://youtu.be/qfX2DMQUe1Y
- “O” by Coldplay- Staying on the subject of Coldplay, this song off of their album “Ghost Stories” album is my go-to meditation song. It’s beautiful melody creates a tranquil mood and the lyrics “fly on” are very inspiring. https://youtu.be/Ap-HeMIKi-c
- “I Am Moana” from Disney’s Moana- If you read my Moana article 5 Lessons Learned from Disney’s Moana, you would know that I LOVE this movie. I find all of the music very inspiring, but this song connects with me personally the most. The words that her grandmother sings to her in the beginning “Sometimes the world seems against you. The journey may leave a scar, but scar’s can heal and reveal just where you are” reminds me of words my Grammy would have said to me if I felt at any point lost or in a hurtful place. I think everyone can take this message home with them: scars are marks of survival. When Moana is asked who she is, she suddenly comes to terms with her background, who raised her, what she has done, and how far she has come. This encourages her to keep going. And that she does. https://youtu.be/e2Lm1-W0jow
So these are just a few of the songs that motivate me to keep doing me. I hope this playlist gives you some inspiration throughout your day as well, or has inspired you to create a playlist of your own choices. Already have a playlist? Comment below your suggestions.
Keep going, keep growing.